1. Gum & Teeth Massage : At night before sleep, rub your gums and teeth with mustard oil, rock salt and turmeric. Keep it for 10 minutes and rinse. For my 5 year old, I place turmeric and mustard oil in the mouth after she sleeps. It helped tremendously.
2. Supplement Wisely.
- Vitamin D + K: Teeth enamel is made up of Calcium and Phosphate. The absorption of these from the foods we eat is facilitated by Vitamin D. For Vitamin D to properly be absorbed we need Vitamin K. Intake of Vitamin D+K also fights bacteria that cause demineralization.
- Virgin Cod Liver Oil: Teeth need fat soluble Vitamins A, D, E, K and they are in high concentration in cod liver oil.
- Vitamin C
3. Change your diet
- Cut sugar
- Decrease phytic acid content by proper preparation of grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds via soaking, sprouting or fermenting. Pair all grains with a generous amount of ghee.
- Add raw dairy from the right source
- Raw milk from Guernsey cow which is local and organic is recommended. In India, any cow is preferable. If this is not available, use goat milk.
- Consume ghee, yoghurt, milk, butter for the fat soluble vitamins as well as Calcium.
4. Change your lifestyle habits
- Stop snacking. Teeth are in constant state or de-mineralization or re-mineralization. To enable re-mineralization when we are not eating, we need to give some rest to chewing foods.
- Keep your mouth alkaline after any food either with Salt Water rinses or Remineralizing mouth squish. Some suggest Xylithol for this, but when we have much simpler and easy alkalizing technique why go with Xylithol whose use is controversial.
5. Follow Dental Hygiene
- Swish 10 times after any food.
- Floss after each meal.
- Alkalize your mouth with simple rock-salt-water squishes.
- Oil Pulling: Get cold-pressed organic oil (sesame or coconut or hemp) and keep squishing in your mouth for around 15-20 minutes. Spit in trash bag and not in sink to avoid clogging.
- Herbal Stick : Rubbing your teeth with a herbal stick like neem, miswak or any non-poisonous tree branch is very beneficial to the teeth. Especially rub near the place where there are cavities to reduce them.
- Use a tooth powder instead of tooth paste. It can be as simple as just mustard oil, turmeric and salt, or any other recipe but keep all ingredients healthy and natural and non-toxic. Other ingredients can be coconut oil, bentonite clay, diamatecious earth, baking soda, etc. Or just buy an ayurvedic tooth powder which has everything to keep the tooth and gums strong. Avoid toothpastes to avoid glycerins which needs couple of rinses to get it out of teeth.
From above, Ayurvedic approaches include: Gum/Teeth Massage, Oil Pulling, Herbal Sticks, Salt Water Rinses. These come from age old ancient wisdom and are very effective. I followed just these and my cavities are reversed, however I had the challenge to heal my kids teeth in 2 months to avoid 16 fillings and pumped up the game with additional diet/supplementation. If a 5 year old can do it, you can do it.